Next Adult Our Whole Lives (O.W.L.): TBA
About Adult OWL at BVUUF:
Not your high school sex class!
We’ll be using the Adult curriculum with portions of the Young Adult curriculum to explore sexuality at THIS stage of life. This interactive and introspective group will help us navigate adulthood with accurate information, increased self-knowlede, enhanced safety and hopefully a new found comfort with subject matter that so often, in our broader world, is not explored in healthy or life affirming ways.
Topics we’ll cover:
- Sexuality & Values
- Boundaries & Power
- Hooking up, Dating, Long-term Relationships & Breaking Up
- Other issues you may be thinking about related to Sexuality & Relationships
Introduction to the O.W.L. Philosophy
Our Whole Lives (O.W.L.) is a nationally renowned series of sexuality education curricula developed by the Unitarian Universalist Association in partnership with the United Church of Christ. At BVUUF we offer it for the following age groups: 1st graders, 5th graders, 7th graders, and high schoolers.
O.W.L. helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior. It equips participants with accurate, age-appropriate information in six subject areas: human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture. Grounded in a holistic view of sexuality, O.W.L. provides not only facts about anatomy and human development, but helps participants to clarify their values, build interpersonal skills, and understand the spiritual, emotional, and social aspects of sexuality.
Our Whole Lives Values:
- Self Worth
- Sexual Health
Each level of Our Whole Lives offers:
- Up-to-date information and honest
- Age-appropriate answers to all participants’ questions
- Activities to help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- Effective group-building to create a safe and supportive peer group
- Education about sexual abuse, exploitation, and harassment
- Opportunities to critique media messages about gender and sexuality
- Acceptance of diversity
- Encouragement to act for justice
- A well designed, teacher-friendly leaders’ guide
- Parent orientation programs that affirm parents as the primary sexuality educators of their children
- Sexuality and Our Faith, an optional religious component for Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ settings.
For more information visit the National OWL website.