Covenant of Right Relationship
Unitarian Universalism is a covenantal religion. This covenant of right relationship expresses the promises we make to ourselves and each other about how we want to be in community together. We believe that the way we treat each other expresses who and what we are as a congregation. Each of us is responsible for supporting ourselves and one another in making good faith efforts to abide by this covenant.
The term “individual” refers to members, friends, and staff at BVUUF. We invite our guests into this covenant.
In order to bring love and reason to life and to build a just and compassionate world, we join in this covenant of right relationship.
Individual to Self
I aspire to:
- Treat myself with respect, kindness and care.
- Contribute to the Fellowship in ways that enliven me and enrich my life, balancing my needs with the needs of the congregation.
- Ask for and accept what I need from our congregation.
- Follow through on my commitments and take responsibility for my words and actions.
- Forgive myself and recommit if I break the covenant.
Individual to Congregation
I aspire to:
- Treat others with respect, kindness and care.
- Engage in congregational life to further our vision, the UUA Statement of Principles, and Sources of Our Living Tradition.
- Communicate directly and honestly, speaking only for myself, and listen deeply to others with the intention of understanding one another.
- Recognize and accept that disagreements within the community are healthy and, when brought out into the open, can lead to better understanding of one another, more common ground, and more inclusive decision-making.
- Assume good intention of others while respectfully articulating the impact of behaviors on me.
- Respect and appreciate others’ contributions to the Fellowship as well as their personal commitments, the value of their time, and their need to set boundaries or say no.
- Forgive others and compassionately invite them back into covenant when it is broken.
Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As a free congregation we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support.