For the theme of Letting Go: MandalaJam, Coming of Age Weekend Retreat, First/Second Grade OWL registration, Adult Mindfulness meets each October Sunday…
MandalaJam in the Sand with Spenser; Color Mandalas with Katie as gifts, Children’s Offering to Mental Health First Aid.
- Can you center yourself and draw part of a mandala in the sandbox?
- Can you create a healing mandala and let it go?
Preschoolers – with Miss Ari.
School of the Spirit for Adults (and youth!):
Read about upcoming adult classes such as the End of Life Series, the Saturday Retreat with David Chernikoff, Wise Women Spirituality Group, The New Jim Crow Book Discussion Group and the Basics of Crochet online.
9 and 11 a.m. Youth Roles – lots of options
- We send our best wishes to the 8/9th Grade Coming of Agers and Guides, Baldy Ranson, Laura and Scott McCollom and Camille Hook, with Rachel Stevenson, as they head out Friday for their first of two retreat weekends.
- Help Miss Ari in the preschool (for those who like the littlest ones)
- Light the chalice for the Children’s Chapel
- Take the offering (same as half-plate )
- Also, we encourage 6th graders and older to represent BVUUF:
- at the Welcoming Table
- as Greeters in the Sanctuary,
- as trained Sound System aide
- as SpiritJam guest teachers (we offered an EatingJam with Liliana Olivio on Fair Trade, and an OrigamiJam with Lucas Davis)
- as Openers and Closers on Sundays
- as Gardeners and Grounds Workers
- Contact Katie Covey, director if you are interested.
Youth and Parents: Read all the news in “The Ship; UU Youth Newsletter”
Needed: climbing rope/slackline/ or other thick rope and rope persons for our “Letting Go” obstacle course in late October.
First/Second Grade OWL (Our Whole Lives) Human Sexuality class starts with a mandatory parent orientation on Thursday, Oct. 8, 5 – 7 p.m. for parents and first/second grader. Childcare for sibs provided with RSVP to Katie, email@example.com. 8 classes are offered at 9 a.m. on Sundays, taught by Deborah Mensch, Heather Munro, and Carol Hughes with help from Judy Feland and Gwen Murphy. First/Second Grade OWL Calendar here. REGISTER HERE. Class is limited to 10. We currently have 6 enrolled.
Harry Potter Book Discussion, Saturday, October 3 from 5-7:30 for Harry Potter through the UU Lens. Join us for our a fun and engaging multi-age book discussion and finger food potluck October 3 at 5:00 pm in the Sanctuary. Please join us if you’ve read one book or all seven, or if you’ve just seen the movies. We’ll look at this series through the lens of our UU beliefs and values. Please bring a finger food dish to share and feel free to bring your wand and robes! If you have questions or would like to help with the event, please contact Rachel Setzke, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lifespan School Council meets Sunday, Oct. 11, 12:30 – 2 p.m. (and 4 other times during the year). Join Robert Nichols, Kelly LoGuidice, Jean Cannella, Katie Covey and others to guide the School of the Spirit.
Next SpiritJam Co-Creator Lab, Wednesday, Oct. 28, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. for virtual or in-person brainstorming on November’s theme of “Ancestry.”
Upcoming in SpiritJam: Oct. 11 – ServiceJam for Crop Walk with Dianne Ladd and Jean Cannella. Also, a “Letting Go” obstacle course, and the Parable of Mussa and Nagrib, later in the month.
Your School of the Spirit Staff:
- Rachel Stevenson, Youth Coordinator, email@example.com
- Ari Flauta, Early Childhood Teacher, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spenser Raymond, SpiritJam Teacher, email@example.com
- Katie Covey, Director of the School of the Spirit, firstname.lastname@example.org