Explore the theme of Compassion with Knitting and CrochetJam (for the Mitten Tree), EatingJam and OrigamiJam (for December Decor). We will be continue to make scarves for the mitten tree, fold Paper Cranes and add exploring ethical eating! Bring a canned food offering.
9 and 11 a.m. Kindergarten and up (adults invited too!):
EatingJam: Explore ethical eating with Liliana Olivo. Rumor has it, there will be chocolate!
Knitting and CrochetJam, continued: BVUUF knitters and crocheters will help learners make a scarf or hat to donate to the mitten tree. BYO tools and yarn or use ours.(donations of yarn, loaners of needles and hooks welcome!)
OrigamiJam, continued: Origami artist Lucas Davis will teach paper crane folding. The Aesthetics Committee will use the cranes for December decorating for “Peace.” We will have easier projects available, too.
9 and 11 a.m. Preschool/Nursery- with Miss Ari, Early Childhood Music Specialist and Teacher. Fifth graders and older are invited to be a helper at either 9 or 11 a.m. Sign up online.
7/8th Grade Our Whole Lives (O.W.L.) – 8:45 -10:15 a.m. with a Guest Panel and Emily Conger.
9 – 10:30 a.m. Adult/Youth Discussion Group: Jack Kornfield Tapes on Buddhist Psychology facilitated by Judy Feland. #4 Thoreau Room. Children welcome to attend SpiritJam and then play on the playground. Drop In’s Welcome!
12:30 – 2:00 p.m. Adult/Youth World Religions Series: Catholicism with Jean Nuttall. Drop In’s Welcome! #4 Thoreau Room.
Playground Monitors: Caroline and King Medlin, 10 – 11 a.m. Sign up online for another Sunday or on the bulletin board.
Read more about our unique experimental SpiritJam model at www.spiritjam.info Join us as we co-create this experimental program with paid lead teachers and monthly themes!
Jr/Sr High OWL (Our Whole Lives) Leader Training, Denver, Dec. 5-7th. BVUUF covers your tuition! Read more and contact Katie if you are interested in this life-changing mission of our UU faith.
Bring Bread Sunday, Nov. 23. Celebrate our diverse cultural heritages during the Thanksgiving Multi-age Service.
Bring your bread to the service of your choice on November 23 and keep it with you until after we “set the table” as part of the service. You are invited to say something about your bread during the service, such as “I’m Katie, and this is cornbread from my West Virginia days.”
Bread may be home made or store made. Sign up ONLINE or in the BVUUF foyer. Thanks for sharing!
Name Tag Station: Want a nametag and a lanyard to decorate with beads? Register online then pick it up at BVUUF on Sundays and choose a shoelace lanyard at the Name Tag Station.
Upcoming Adult/Youth Classes:
Sundays, Nov. 16 and on – Tapes on Buddhism
- Sunday, Nov. 16 Catholicism, part I. with Jean Nuttall, 12:30 – 2 p.m. Room #4, Thoreau.
- Sunday, Nov. 23 Christianity facilitated by Jean Cannella, a 1 session class at 9-10:30 a.m. Room #4, Thoreau.
- Sunday, Nov. 30 Catholicism, part II, with Jean Nuttall, 12:30 -2 p.m.Room#4, Thoreau.
- Sunday, Dec. 7 Mormonism presented by Linda Thornton and Laura Murray, a 1 session class from 12:30-2 p.m. in the Thoreau Room.
- Sunday, Dec. 14 Humanism facilitated by Dave Leonard, a 1 session class from 12:30-2 p.m. in the Thoreau Room.
Thanks to Lorraine Wilson, Julie Dufford, Deborah Mensch, Rachel Setzke and Kathy Partridge for their guidance and patience at teaching adults, youth and children how to knit or crochet during SpiritJam. Lucas Davis, 7th grader, will be joining us again for OrigamiJam and his patience and clarity are superb, if you want to learn how to fold Paper Cranes. We welcome Liliana Olivo who has been researching ethical eating and is preparing an insightful EatingJam for us!
Your School of the Spirit Staff:
- Emily Conger, Youth Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ari Flauta, Early Childhood Teacher, email@example.com
- Rachel Stevenson, SpiritJam Teacher and Religious Education Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Newman, SpiritJam Teacher, email@example.com
- Katie Covey, Director of the School of the Spirit, firstname.lastname@example.org