Explore the theme of Peace with Jams on Bodhi Day, Hannukah, and Christmas. Storyteller Ray Hamilton tells the story of “The Whales and the Sandpipers” from the Marshall Islands. SpiritJam is multi-age – adults, youth and children are welcome!
9 and 11 a.m. CircleJam (opening) Hear the story of “The Whales and the Sandpipers” from the Marshall Islands with Storyteller Ray Hamilton.
Bodhi DayJam: Luis Uribe’s family celebrates the 8 days of Bodhi Day, and will share the story of Buddha’s enlightenment with us under our own fig tree.
HannukahJam: Light the menorah and play the dreydl game as you find out about this Jewish 8 day holiday.
ChristmasJam: How many days until Christmas? Create a Christmas Chain calendar and hear the story of the birth of Jesus.
9 and 11 a.m. Preschool/Nursery- with Miss Ari, Early Childhood Music Specialist and Teacher. She will be making beeswax candles with the little ones.
7/8th Grade Our Whole Lives (O.W.L.) – with Luis Uribe and Emily Conger. (8:45 – 10:15 a.m.)
8/9th Grade Coming of Age – God Beliefs, part I with Emily and Michael. (12:30 – 2 p.m.)
Adult Classes: (Drop In’s Welcome!)
- Sun., Dec. 14 – Spanish Conversation with Letitia Abajo, 10 a.m.. #4 Thoreau Rm.
- Sun., Dec. 14 – Chat with the Minister, 12:30 p.m. Dias
- Sun., Dec. 14 Humanism facilitated by Dave Leonard, a 1 session class from 12:30-2 p.m. in the Thoreau Room.
Playground Monitors: Hannah Grosser, 10 – 11 a.m. Sign up online or on the bulletin board. Weather permitting, but the children love to go outside!
Read more about our unique experimental SpiritJam model at www.spiritjam.info Join us as we co-create this experimental program with paid lead teachers and monthly themes!
Check out the Youth Ministry Newsletter by Emily Conger, Youth Coordinator for 7th – 12th graders.
Needed for January (Evil as theme):
- Glue Guns and glue gun helpers needed for our upcoming Harry Potter Wand MakingJam on Jan.11.
- Bullying Resources needed for January’s theme of “Evil.” Books, speakers, skits, etc.
- Snake to visit? Do you have a friendly snake who could visit?
- Co-facilitators for the book or play – “Wicked” – about the grayness of evil as an adult class.
Upcoming Adult Classes: click here for more information.
Christmas Eve, Dec. 24: We will be offering Child Dedications at these services. See Katie if you would like your infant or older child(ren) dedicated in UU tradition. Children up to 8th grade are invited into the dedication ceremony, after which we invite them to the “Coming of Age” program.
- 3 and 5 p.m. Family – Oriented Services featuring the “No Rehearsal Christmas Eve Pageant,” Carols, and Candlelighting.
- Come in costume or borrow one of ours. We invite audience participation as manger animals, shepherds, angels, wise guys and assistants. Let Katie know if you would like to be Mary or Joseph for a service.
- 8 p.m. Carols and Candlelight, Reflecting on the 100th anniversary of the Silent Night Armistice on Christmas Eve, 1914.
Sunday, Jan 4, 2015 Mini Retreat: Spiritual Adventures (instead of Sunday Services). We are trying a grand experiment on Sunday, 1/4 — instead of our regular worship service, we are going to have a New Year’s Mini-Retreat “Spiritual Adventures” with
- a labyrinth and Tibetan bells in the sanctuary,
- a winter walk to Waneka Lake,
- life collage
- zen doodling
The idea is to start at 9 am, as we always do, have most of the ‘retreat’ sessions be 1/2 hour —giving two 1/2 sessions from 9 — 10 am, then a bountiful coffee hour between 10 — 11 with the Drifter Band playing gospel Bluegrass, then another 2 sessions for the “11 am service”. You may pick one service or stay for more, your choice. This mini-retreat will be for all ages, plus childcare for nursery/preschoolers.
Sunday, Dec. 28, ONE SERVICE at 10 a.m. with informal games and activities for children.
Your School of the Spirit Staff:
- Emily Conger, Youth Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ari Flauta, Early Childhood Teacher, email@example.com
- Rachel Stevenson, SpiritJam Teacher and Religious Education Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Newman, SpiritJam Teacher, email@example.com
- Katie Covey, Director of the School of the Spirit, firstname.lastname@example.org