Explore the theme of Peace with multi-generational 9 and 11 a.m. services “Stories of the Season: Peace in Unlikely Places.” Ellen Laverdure has created a song and story service featuring The Grinch, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, White Christmas, Charlie Brown Christmas Songs by Vince Guaraldi and more! The nursery/preschool will be open, family choice.
Playground Monitors: Gwen Murphy, 10 – 11 a.m. Sign up online or on the bulletin board. Weather permitting, but the children love to go outside!
Read more about our unique experimental SpiritJam model at www.spiritjam.info Join us as we co-create this experimental program with paid lead teachers and monthly themes!
Check out the Youth Ministry Newsletter by Emily Conger, Youth Coordinator for 7th – 12th graders.
Needed for January (Evil as theme):
- Glue Guns and glue gun helpers needed for our upcoming Harry Potter Wand MakingJam on Jan.11.
- Bullying Resources needed for January’s theme of “Evil.” Books, speakers, skits, etc.
- Snake to visit? Do you have a friendly snake who could visit?
- Co-facilitators for the book or play – “Wicked” – about the grayness of evil as an adult class.
Upcoming Adult Classes: click here for more information.
Christmas Eve, Dec. 24: We will be offering Child Dedications at these services. See Katie if you would like your infant or older child(ren) dedicated in UU tradition. Children up to 8th grade are invited into the dedication ceremony, after which we invite them to the “Coming of Age” program.
- 3 and 5 p.m. Family – Oriented Services featuring the “No Rehearsal Christmas Eve Pageant,” Carols, and Candlelighting.
- Come in costume or borrow one of ours. We invite audience participation as manger animals, shepherds, angels, wise guys and assistants. Let Katie know if you would like to be Mary or Joseph for a service.
- 8 p.m. Carols and Candlelight, Reflecting on the 100th anniversary of the Silent Night Armistice on Christmas Eve, 1914.
Sunday, Jan 4, 2015 Mini Retreat: Spiritual Adventures (instead of Sunday Services). We are trying a grand experiment on Sunday, 1/4 — instead of our regular worship service, we are going to have a New Year’s Mini-Retreat “Spiritual Adventures” with
- a labyrinth and Tibetan bells in the sanctuary,
- a winter walk to Waneka Lake,
- life collage
- zen doodling
The idea is to start at 9 am, as we always do, have most of the ‘retreat’ sessions be 1/2 hour —giving two 1/2 sessions from 9 — 10 am, then a bountiful coffee hour between 10 — 11 with the Drifter Band playing gospel Bluegrass, then another 2 sessions for the “11 am service”. You may pick one service or stay for more, your choice. This mini-retreat will be for all ages, plus childcare for nursery/preschoolers.
Sunday, Dec. 28, ONE SERVICE at 10 a.m. with informal games and activities for children.
Your School of the Spirit Staff:
- Emily Conger, Youth Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ari Flauta, Early Childhood Teacher, email@example.com
- Rachel Stevenson, SpiritJam Teacher and Religious Education Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Newman, SpiritJam Teacher, email@example.com
- Katie Covey, Director of the School of the Spirit, firstname.lastname@example.org