Explore the theme of Reason in the School of the Spirit: with a Take Apart Party! Registration for Summer Day Camp is open!
CircleJam (Opening)- we gather for songs and a Sharing Circle.
9 and 11 a.m. “Take Apart Party”
In honor of Unitarian Universalist Tim Berners-Lee, father of the World Wide Web, we celebrate perpetual curiosity and TAKE THINGS APART! We have a selection of speakers, boom boxes, an old projector, etc. (and can always use more!), plus some tinkerers from the congregation. You may wish to bring your own screwdrivers (labelled with your name) and other basic tools.
In addition, the Kneale family has loaned us their vintage manual typewriter, not to take apart, but to type with…. and it is really fun, according to the kids who used it last year.
Tinkerers (youth and adult) are warmly welcomed to help supervise the dissections! VCR cassettes are very interesting to dissect if you have any you can donate.
Note: We are not putting things back together!
9 and 11 a.m. Preschool/Nursery- with Miss Ari, Early Childhood Music Specialist and Teacher.
Adult Classes, Sunday, Feb. 22: (Drop In’s Welcome!)
- Mindfulness Practice and Discussion, 9-10:30 a.m. Thoreau Rm. “Do You Make Regular Visits to Yourself?” This week, we’ll continue to reflect on mindfulness (vipassana or insight) meditation. This class guides us in “being here,” in cultivating a mindful awareness that recognizes and accepts what is happening in the present moment. Includes short guided meditations and valuable reminders that can support you in developing, or in enlivening an existing meditation practice. The one-hour talk, which includes time for a brief meditation and reflection exercises, will be followed by sharing circle. No previous experience required, all are welcome.
- Visit the “one-stop-shopping” Adult Webpage for upcoming offerings
Playground Monitors: Needed, 10 – 11 a.m. Sign up online or on the bulletin board. Weather permitting, but the children love to go outside!
Read more about our unique experimental SpiritJam model at www.spiritjam.info Join us as we co-create this experimental program with paid lead teachers and monthly themes!
Registration is OPEN for the 2015 Peace and Justice Summer Day Camp with PeaceJam. June 1-5th. K-5th graders. For our 9th annual camp, we go GLOBAL through our collaboration with PeaceJam. PeaceJam’s mission is to create young leaders committed to positive change in themselves, their communities, and the world through the inspiration of Nobel Peace Laureates who pass on the spirit, skills, and wisdom they embody.
Please Register your children for our Sunday Program to get updates about Our Whole Lives (OWL) and other programs, as well as receive a lanyard and name tag.
Fifth Grade OWL – April/May (7 sessions); let Katie know if you are interested.
Mini-care packages for the homeless – donations of items needed (travel sized toothpaste, toothbrushes, granola bars, thin gloves, comb, soap, emergency blanket, razor, small wet wipes, small First Aid items, small deodorant, cracker packages, bus passes, etc.) for the 3/1 ServiceJam Project (one service at 10 a.m. only). Donation box by the SpiritJam Lab. Items will be packed in a quart sized Ziploc bag by children and others. The mini-care packages will be available to congregants willing to keep them in their car or purse to give to the homeless.
New! Parent Circles Sundays, 9 and 11 a.m. once a month, drop ins welcome!
- March 15 – Trust: Balancing safety and freedom.
- April 12 – Redemption: Making mistakes; not being perfect.
- May 3 – Calling: The call to nurture, what is a parent’s role?
Meet 9 a.m. Thoreau Rm; 11 a.m. Barnum Rm. – your choice! Children are welcome to attend the Preschool/Nursery or SpiritJam.
Reflection, Sharing and Support
Guided by the monthly theme with tangents as desired.
Specifically for parents, and other important adults in a family.
Facilitated by Katie Covey, Director, School of the Spirit
Check out the Youth Ministry Newsletter by Emily Conger, Youth Coordinator for 7th – 12th graders.
Your School of the Spirit Staff:
- Emily Conger, Youth Coordinator, email@example.com
- Ari Flauta, Early Childhood Teacher, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rachel Setzke, 2015 Peace and Justice Camp Director, email@example.com
- Rachel Stevenson, SpiritJam Teacher and Religious Education Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Newman, SpiritJam Teacher, email@example.com
- Katie Covey, Director of the School of the Spirit, firstname.lastname@example.org